Monday 11 May 2015

Conclusion

This is supposed to be enclosed at the bottom of the blog.




Conclusion to my Personal Study



Throughout this last year I have gained experience and learnt many new forms of expression thanks to the influence of these artists I have mentioned in my personal study. In my work you can see accumulated techniques I have acquired from practicing each artists personal methods. It is evident in my work certain artists have had bigger impact than others as I have repeatedly carried out their individual techniques from the start of my work down to the final pieces such as Traci Bautista.

Its easy to distinguish Bautista's doodle designs throughout my work, and Barcelo's textured background techniques but both artists Close and O'Connor have inspired me to focus on the portrait side of my topic but adapting it in my own style for example Close's percolator method adapted into the backgrounds rather than the face. Another example being Danny O'Connor's vivid colours to describing emotion in a face carried out by the literal painting on a human face, photographed it, enlarged and painted it for one of my final pieces. It included the messy, layered and colourful result Danny O'Connor produces but in a bolder format.
I have drawn these four artists together to produce the final outcome for my coursework. Doodles will be seen throughout my work entirely. Patterned faces of colour will play the central focus on each piece whether in the middle or to a side of the textured surface that makes up the background.

I have acquired new experiences and learnt many new and different techniques, which if not thanks to the research of these artists, I wouldn't have. I now know various bizarre methods of applying textures and a how to make a more distinguishable image. This year I feel as if I have expanded my depth of field in what I knew and what I did, comparing my AS work with this year, I can see how these artists have influenced my work and inspired me to push myself and think out of the box. This personal study really allowed me to expand not only in the research section but in the practical
as it gave me a sense of direction and a way of realising my own style as easily separable from the main artists.

From Bautista I have learnt doodle techniques, stencil work on my backgrounds, layering of collage in the depth of the backgrounds,contrasting colours, application of spray paints, print making with my own shapes, personally designed prints and layering of pattern to express emotion...
From Barcelo I have learnt new background effects. The use of thick paste and harsh texture, plastered patters following the outline of his work. I have learnt to use a wider range of colour, a wider range of materials to compile a more expressive background.
From Close I have learnt how simplicity can lead to an image becoming more complex. It has taught me more detailed approaches in smaller more intricate areas and the use of colour to match and blend with its main focus.
From O'Connor I have learnt the way in which colour, including black and white can create dimension, depth and expression in a painting. He has made me remain interested in portraiture as it gives of a very modern image. Chuck Close and Danny O'Connor might not be the most visual part of evidence in my work but probably play the biggest role in the theme this year. They have had the biggest impact on me in the sense they lead me on to producing mixed media portraiture. The painted portrait is a living art form.

Mixed Media Portraiture, what does that mean?
Art has advanced just how we all do, and has grown over the years. The concept of art has changed drastically looking back at historical times in relation to today. Art use to consist of contemporary portraiture attempting to look the most realistic as possible, simple colours, simple backgrounds, nothing unusual. Portraiture art is very different how we see it. We live in a modern day where thanks to technology we have been able to advance extremely, even in art. Art has now been adapted so we can actually explore such things as mixed media portraiture as in the past it was not an option. In our current day life, mixed media portraiture is more widely accepted as forms of expression and art techniques. I believe portraiture is one of the best ways of expression, you are painting something you are familiar and comfortable with, you can bring out true passion though the touch of a brush. Before starting this year, modern portraiture was already in my mind, but mixing it up with a more complex appearance is what made it more distinguishable from my other work. The painted portrait may prove the last best hope of painting as a popular art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment