Wednesday 4 March 2015

Introduction To My Personal Study



Mixed Media Portraiture



My journey into mixed media portraiture started with exploring both mixed media surface artists and contemporary portrait artists. My aim has been to use the inspiration of both types of artists in my own creative experiments, whilst attempting to compare and contrast the techniques and concepts of these individuals in my personal study. I have chosen to continue with my portrait theme from my AS studies, but with a different approach. 

Thanks to the artists I have looked at, I have been able to get a true feel for the direction I want to take and hence recognise my aim to explore different media formats such as the use of charcoals, pastels, graphite, acrylics and many more. When I refer to mixed media I mean artwork in which more than one medium has been layered. Portraiture is the recording of an individual's appearance and personality, whether in a photograph or a painting, in which I hope to capture the spirit of an individual through the colours and textures that I layer around the face. 


Through analysing and understanding these four artists I hope to absorb some of their forward thinking approaches and experimental techniques both in portraiture and mixed media. During AS I mainly focused on contemporary portraiture and plain backgrounds with a simple focus on the painting in the middle of the canvas causing a very simple result. This year I changed my backgrounds from a solid block colour to a mixture of colours and textures and different processes to achieve this. Learning from Traci Bautista's Youtube tutorials, I have incorporated her rustic, but effective print techniques and vivid colours into my own work. She was the first artist I looked at and she completely changed my view on how I approach this theme. In addition, one of the reasons I am now calling my work "Mixed Media Portraiture" is because I plan to use her layered print concept with sprayed or ink treated backgrounds. I also wanted a hint of Barcelo's 3D skills in my backgrounds through prominent layering of plaster, paper and fabric. O'Connor and Close inspired me to continue with portraiture mixing it up slightly changing the reality of a plain panting of a face to an unrealistic intensified image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment